Frozen plasma products include fresh frozen plasma (FFP), which is separated and frozen within 8 hours of collection, or plasma frozen within 24 hours of collection (FP24). Both contain plasma proteins and coagulation factors and can be used interchangeably (FP24 has a slight decrease in factor VII and V activities). These products can be thawed and stored in the refrigerator for 5 days (termed thawed plasma). These products are used in the management of preoperative or bleeding patients who require replacement of multiple plasma coagulation factors or when factor concentrates are not available, such as in liver disease, disseminated intravascular coagulopathy (DIC), thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP), or immediate warfarin reversal.
Cryoprecipitate Reduced Plasma
Cryoprecipitate reduced plasma is made from FFP after cryoprecipitate has been removed. The single indication for this product is TTP.
Each cryoprecipitate unit contains at least 80 units of Factor VIII and 150 mg of fibrinogen in less than 15 ml of plasma. Cryoprecipitate also contains von Willebrand factor, factor XIII, and fibronectin. A pre-pool of 5 cryoprecipitate units is available. Cryoprecipitate is used primarily for the prevention or control of bleeding associated with fibrinogen deficiency.
Octaplas – Pooled Plasma Solvent/Detergent Treated
New York Blood Center is pleased to announce distribution of a new plasma product: Octaplas. This product from Octapharma USA is a solvent/detergent treated, pooled human plasma for intravenous use only. It is indicated for replacement of multiple coagulation factors in patients with acquired deficiencies due to liver disease or undergoing cardiac surgery or liver transplantations, and in plasma exchange in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP).
- Octaplas is supplied in 200 mL bags
- Octaplas is a sterile, pyrogen free, frozen solution of solvent/detergent (S/D) treated pooled human plasma and is manufactured from human plasma collected in US licensed plasma donation centers
- All plasma donations are tested for viral markers in compliance with US regulations
- Each lot is manufactured from pooled plasma of a single ABO group (A, B, AB or O)
- The pool is limited to 390kg comprising 630 – 1,520 individual donors
- Finished products are tested for coagulation factors II, V, VII, VIII, X and XI, Protein C, Protein S, alpha2-antiplasmin (also known as Plasmin Inhibitor), fibrinogen and ADAMTS13.
- The S/D treatment step has been validated to effectively inactivate relevant pathogenic and model enveloped viruses including HIV-1, PRV, SBV and BVDV.
Dosage and Administration
Octaplas is administered based on ABO-blood group compatibility for replacement of coagulation factors in patients with acquired deficiencies due to liver disease or undergoing cardiac surgery or liver transplant.
Initially infuse 10 to 15 mL of Octaplas per kilogram of bodyweight. This should increase the patient’s plasma coagulation factor levels by approximately 15-25%. If hemostasis is not achieved, use higher doses.