Platelet products are either manufactured from apheresis collections, also known as single donor platelets (SDP), plateletapheresis or apheresis platelets, or whole blood derived platelet concentrates. Five units of whole blood derived platelet concentrates are pooled together before storage to make a therapeutic platelet dose. All NYBC platelet products are tested for bacterial contamination using a culture system.
- NYBC platelet products are all leukoreduced.
- CMV seronegative platelets can be ordered.
- Platelet products can be washed to remove plasma.
- Platelet products can be irradiated.
- HLA matched or crossmatched platelets may be needed to treat patients with post-transfusion platelet refractoriness, when their platelet count does not adequately rise after a platelet transfusion due to HLA and/or platelet antibodies.
- HLA Matched Platelet Request.pdf (67.1 KB)
- Platelet Antibody Screen-Platelet Crossmatch Request.pdf (28.4 KB)
- Platelet products collected and stored in platelet additive solution (PAS) are available. PAS decreases risk of allergic reactions.