For five decades, physicians and scientists at NYBC and its LFKRI have worked to improve human health through the science of blood. Our research has paved the way for new blood-related products, techniques, and therapies as well as numerous landmark patents.
We invite you to participate in an exciting summer research program on the upper eastside of New York City!
- Students selected to participate in the LFKRI-Summer Undergraduate Research Program will be part of our cutting-edge biomedical research. They will work side-by-side with some of the world leading research scientists.
- Students are matched with laboratories according to their stated research interests and will work on projects under the direct supervision of faculty and postdoctoral fellows.
- Research projects in biomedical sciences and public health directly related to the following areas of research: Transfusion Medicine, Hematology and Immunology, Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology.
- Students must commit to 10 weeks full time start date June 1.
- At the end of the summer program, students will present their research findings in a formal seminar to the institute.
- Competitive financial compensation: accepted students will be paid hourly up to $6000 (please note – this includes salary/housing and travel support).
- COVID-19 provisions: due to the ongoing pandemic, accepted interns will be required to complete a daily health screening, wearing a mask at all times while in the building and comply with social distancing regulations.
Qualifications and Selection
- Students must be enrolled full-time in an accredited College or University. International Students studying at a degree granting institution in the US are eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have a strong desire to pursue a career in the biomedical sciences or healthcare.
- Selection is based upon academic credentials, letters of recommendation and the congruence of the students expressed goals with the internship program. Relevant training or experience is a plus, but not required.
Investigators Accepting 2022 Summer Interns
- Karina Yazdanbakhsh, PhD
- Asim K Debnath, PhD
- Cheryl Lobo, PhD
- Larry Luchsinger, PhD
- Sara Lustigman, PhD
- Avital Mendelson, PhD
- Hong Van Tieu, MD
- Francesca Vinchi, PhD
- Hui Zhong, PhD
Interested applicants should submit the following documentation:
- A one page personal statement expressing interest for the LFKRI - Summer Undergraduate Research Program. Please indicate a potential area of research interest or lab you would be interested to work in.
- Resume/CV with current GPA
- Two Letters of Recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be emailed directly from the mentor/faculty to LFKRI-SURP@nybc.org
- Applicants should submit their documentation to LFKRI-SURP@nybc.org
- Submission deadline is January 31, 2022
- Applicants will receive an email notifying them of a decision between March 1 and March 15