WHAT IS APHERESIS?
Apheresis is a technique used to separate whole blood into its component parts (plasma, red cells, white cells, and platelets) to isolate certain components for removal and return the remaining components to the patient. Apheresis can also be used to collect blood components from donors matched to patients with specific needs with regard to stem cells, red cells, platelets, and plasma.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR A PATIENT TO RECEIVE THERAPEUTIC APHERESIS?
- For certain diseases, therapeutic apheresis is the primary treatment for that disease. Timely treatment can make the difference between life and death for the patient. (Emergent Therapeutic Guidelines)
- Hemodialysis or hemofiltration is not an adequate substitute for therapeutic apheresis.
WHY USE NEW YORK BLOOD CENTER?
- We provide 7-day 24-hour availability of therapeutic apheresis services, currently available in NY, NJ, CT and PA. Services can be provided emergently even without a pre-existing contract.
- We bring all equipment, supplies, and staffing directly to your hospital, and manage associated quality control, staff training/competency, and maintenance requirements.
- Our experienced and knowledgeable apheresis nurse staff is solely devoted to performing therapeutic apheresis and is highly skilled in the treatment of pediatric and critically ill patients.
- Our Medical Directors provide 7-day 24-hour consultation and guidance to your hospital physicians.
- Our dedicated support staff provides hospital-specific quarterly reports on apheresis utilization for quality improvement, support for reimbursement issues, and compliance with hospital-specific regulations.
- Our service maintains accreditation by all applicable accreditation bodies, such as AABB, FACT.
- We offer the latest, evidence-based apheresis techniques and technology.
TO SCHEDULE A PATIENT
Call Toll-Free: 866.956.NYBC (6922)
Visit the Hematopoietic Stem Cells page for mononuclear cell and hematopoietic stem cell apheresis collections.